Monday 2 April 2012

To beer or not to beer ?

Now we are in the business end of Marathon preparation.

3 weeks to go and it is very real indeed.

It was my wife's birthday and our wedding anniversary last week. Following celebrations for both, I have stopped drinking alcohol until after I finish the marathon.

And now, all I really want is a beer.

This was the bit I was dreading most if truth be told.  Forget the training, the cold mornings, no desserts, and the inevitable pain I shall suffer running the marathon itself.
No, the hardest thing for me will be no beer at all for 24 days.

I know there are many people who would have no problem at all with this.

But I am a social animal. I enjoy a pint and a glass of wine with friends. 

And, despite plenty of video evidence to the contrary, I still believe I am funnier and better looking when I have a drink.

It has been heading this way for weeks - I have slowed up my drinking a lot. I even went to a very nice restaurant the other evening with my wife and ordered, wait for it, a half bottle of red wine.

I embarrassed myself. Surely only old people ordered such items ?

The waiter was unimpressed too. I don't blame him. Maybe I should have worn elasticated trousers and slip on shoes too.

Still, there is a plus side. Though I hate to admit it. I feel better than I have for years.

I have lost over a stone now in weight, I sleep exceptionally well, and I ran 10 miles comfortably on Saturday morning with no ill effects.

Basically, I am now fit.

I expect after all this I will keep up the fitness. 

I will have the suits taken in on the basis I intend to remain at the weight I am now into the future.

I will deny myself the odd culinary delight, rather than eat it because it is on the menu.

But...I think I will also enjoy that first pint about 4pm on Sunday 22nd April.

I just hope I've finished the Marathon when I drink it ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers