Monday 23 April 2012

I did it My Way

It's over.

5 hours 53 minutes 53 seconds.

Not the fastest time, and slightly outside my 5 hour target, but I finished, I wasn't last, and the roads were still closed. To be fair they gave those African chaps a bit of an unfair start by putting them at the front, I never stood a chance of winning. It took me 15 minutes to cross the start line (see picture) !


It was a glorious start to the day, sunny but crisp.

The crowds were superb all the way. There were bands, children wanting you to high five them, and offering jelly babies and wine gums. A real party atmosphere.
I was grateful I had my name on my shirt, because having your name shouted and chanted really helps you when it gets tough.

And tough it did get. Miles 15-20 were horrible. Every step was forced through these 5 miles.

But once you get to 20 you know you've done it. Even if you had to walk, or crawl, you've done it.

And my family were there cheering me on with 385 yards to go. In the pouring rain. Good job too. It hid the tear in my eye. What a great ending.

I enjoyed myself, and in the end raised well over £3,000 for NSPCC. Money which will be well used by them. Thank to all of you for that. I was amazed by everyone's generosity.

I would recommend you to do it. If I can do it, anyone can. I was horribly unfit at the start.

It made me eat better, exercise and drink less.

I feel so much better today then 6 months ago. Well, perhaps not today exactly...but you get the idea !

I shall keep it up (except for the doner kebab, cider and, er, the extra pizza I had last night - but I had earned it, hadn't I ?)

Will I do it again ?

No.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers