Monday 30 January 2012

26.2 miles !?... I laugh in your general direction

I was lent a 'motivational' book on running to help with my mental preparation for the race.

It was by a man called Dean Karnazes. He is an ultra-marathon man.

Anything longer than the traditional marathon is known as an ultra-marathon, apparently.

Dean runs a lot of these races. He has run across deserts and has run to the South Pole. He has run 200 miles continuously without sleep. I think you start to get the general idea of what sort of individual he may be.

And he is from California. Woop woop.

If you get a bit of time in what is left of your lives, it may be worth a read. If not I shall summarise.

Dean runs a lot.

He puts his body through unimaginable pain and in all likelihood terrible permanent damage which will reveal itself when reaches his older years.

And man oh man - he LOVES that pain. Woop woop.

The more pain the better the gain.

I think the message is that if a regular everyday (ever so slightly mad) dude like him can run and run, well, just about anyone anyone can. The pain is just pain and can be mentally over-ridden. A marathon is for breakfast (and yes he does sometimes run a marathon before breakfast).

There is something in here I'm sure, but I am not sure how motivational I found it to know that, as far as he is concerned, a marathon on it's own is a bit wimpy.

Real running starts where 26.2 miles finishes, he says.

Perhaps I should do a lap of honour when I finish then ?

Maybe better if I just run for another 100 yards or so once I hit the finishing line. That must then qualify me as an Ultra Marathon Man under their rules ? Cool, man.

Alternatively, if you are inspired to run 100 miles instead, and become a proper runner, have a look here http://ws100.com/.

Dean's run this one a lot. You get a free belt if you don't die.

Woop woop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers